Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sharing an umbrella


I was in New York in mid-April for a week. It's a great city, and the fact that a junior college friend of mine offered me her vacant apartment to stay for the entire week was just the icing on the cake.

To repay her kindness, I took her out to dinner. The evening we met, it was raining, and we had to share her umbrella. Being the taller person/gentleman, I held the umbrella. She stood on the left, me on the right, and I held the umbrella in my right hand.

And she asked,"Why hold the umbrella with your right hand?"

Referring to the diagram on the left, it can be seen that the bottom scenario is more practical, as both parties get more shelter from the umbrella.
But it seemed like a chore to explain the entire rationale of doing so, and I would have probably shocked/scared her if she found out that I had actually thought through this meaningless procedure, so I guess the only smart thing to reply was," So that I can put my arm around you"

I have to admit I am not usually like this, and definitely not used to putting my arms around a Singaporean, due to our generally conversative cultural background. But as we were in New York, I suppose it was right to put away the old-fashioned thinking and be spontaneous.

She seemed to appreciate the humour and my guiding hand, and off we went to a great dinner at Landmarc.
Learning points:
  1. I have the ability to make a discussion out of the most insignificant matters

  2. There are tons of beautiful eligible women in Manhattan, New York, and some of them bring out the suaveness in me
  3. I need a course on how to break down physical barriers with Singapore women.

1 comment:

be nice!