Monday, July 27, 2009

Luggage storage in Istanbul

I learnt that there are no lockers for baggage storage at the bus station close to Taksim Square in Istanbul, so here's what I did:
  1. Board a metro train with full luggage, and show discomfort in maneuvering it through the crowded cabin. I had 4hours to kill before my return flight to Oslo.


  2. Spoke to the person next to me when I got my seat. Asked about his career, and his plans. Shared with him my plan for the day, which was to find a place to store my baggage for 4hours so that I could visit the Chora Museum.


  3. My fellow passenger was a retired Turkish doctor who had been living in Australia for the past 30 years. He was in Istanbul to visit his friends, who had offices around Taksim Square. He suggested I put my bag at his friend's office, and pick it up after I had finished my sightseeing.


  4. Thinking that it was just clothes in the bag, I took up his offer. After all, even if the bag disappeared, the office would not, rite?


  5. Upon alighting the metro at Taksim Square, we walked around 400m to his friend's office on the 3rd floor of a building, which turned out to be a company which provided accounting services. I placed my bag down and took off for the Chora museum

  6. I returned 3 hours later, with 2 oranges for the office boss, picked up my bag and left Turkey with the best example of world-famous Turkish hospitality.

Chora museum, with the best church mosaics I have ever seen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ben,
    I know it is too late but there is a baggage storage in Taksim now. It is called Bagaj. More info can be found at http://bagaj.co/eng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there stranger,
      It's not too late!
      Thanks for the update! I do not know when I will return to Istanbul, but I hope those that read this post will now know of its baggage storage services!

      Thanks again
      ben

      Delete

be nice!