Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sharing a hotel room with a stranger

Trust - its easier earned for some people, like the person I entrusted my luggage with in Istanbul, and I had my experience of how it just might be easy to trust me.

It all started in Marakkesh, in the Riad Amazigh, north Africa's best-rated hostel (its really nice!). I had just checked in, and I caught sight of an asian girl walking by the reception. And my Singapore-sense just took effect - we made eye-contact, and we just knew that we were Singaporeans!

We got acquianted over a few drinks at the Cafe Arabes. She was Shuyi, a Singaporean based in Frankfurt, Germany, and she was travelling with her friend Tanja.


The next morning, we met at the breakfast table at the hostel. We were joined by a couple of English girls and a Jamaican.

Fast forward to lunchtime, and its Shuyi, Tanja, me and Jamaican girl (Sheree by name) eating and talking about our travels in Morocco.

Drinks at Cafe Arabes with Shuyi and Tanja

Both Sheree and I talked about visiting Essouira, and then out of nowhere, Shuyi blurted out," Stay at the Riad Jemalhi Mogador! Its only MAD 250 (EUR 25) a night for a double room! Since you 2 are travelling alone, why not share a room?" And then the words of reassurance - "He's Singaporean, he won't do anything to you!"




Sheree and I were both cool with that idea, and we did not talk much about it after. I noted down the name of the hotel, and left shortly for my Sahara adventure (see earlier posts).

___________________________

I'm Singaporean and I don't bite...

I remember sending Sheree an email from the Sahara informing her of my estimated arrival time at Essouira and hoped to meet her at the hotel. I was not having my expectations high, after all the unexpected events that had happened to me in Morocco thus far.

Fast forward 3 days later, and I found my way to the Riad Jemalhi Mogador in Essouira. The receptionist told me that it was fully booked, and I was thinking to myself "shit happened ..again.." when Sheree popped out of nowhere and gave me a welcome hug! I had a long ride from the desert, and it was just the pleasant surprise I needed.

And there - sharing a room with someone you met over a lunch for 2 nights.



During our stay in Essouira, I did tell Sheree that I did not expect to meet her there, and was curious as to why she would be willing to share the hotel room with me. Its not as though we could not afford to stay on our own.

Her response was that I gave her a "good vibe"...

I'm still wondering if that was meant to be a compliment....


Sheree having fun at Taros bar





Sebastian, cool french kite-surfing dude we met at the hotel, chilling at Taros Bar

1 comment:

  1. hihi!! This is Shuyi writing! Trust is fun right! You have to meet me in Sing to give me more Cafe arabe pics! or start sending them by batches! We only got one!

    Enjoy some prawn noodle kway teow soup for me! Am having a mad craving! For a lot of soupy stuff!!

    ReplyDelete

be nice!