Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Leaving New Plymouth.... for Shenzhen!

November 10 2014

I am officially transferred from my company's New Zealand office to setup the China office in Shekou, Shenzhen. It is now past 2 months into my assignment in China (finally subscribing to a VPN service to bypass the Chinese firewalls, allowing me to surf the internet "normally"), and I reflect on the contrasts between New Plymouth and my new home till June 2015.

Food diversity
I was amazed (and still am) at the food options available in Shekou, an expat village. The main dining district is called SeaWorld, which houses at least 50 eateries built around a grounded vessel. Cuisines available include Mexican, Italian, Thai, Brazilian, German and Chinese amongst other western fare.


German shnitzel
Mexican tacos
Japanese sushi



Burger


Seafood broil in a bag


Dead Guy Ale from Oregon


















Being my first time living in China, it has been a wonderful experiencing the different types of Chinese cooking styles - Shanghai (rich and flavorful), Szechuan (spicy), Cantonese (light-flavored), and its a real struggle not putting on weight with so many things to try.

麻辣香锅
烤羊排
虾蟹粥






牛肉粉







上海菜


肉夹馍













I'm comparing this to New Plymouth where the opening of a new eatery would be the talk of the town.

Population explosion!
New Plymouth - approximately 56,000 (based on Wikipedia)
Shenzhen - approximately 15,000,000
 That's like 268 times more people, which will result in lots more malls, shops, restaurants, places of interest, and a lot less personal space in China.

Tourists admiring the musical fountain at SeaWorld, Shekou
View of Shekou from Little Nanshan











Thankfully Shekou is not too populous, and most people in Shenzhen are concentrated in the Futian and Luohu districts.

Time difference resolved!
I am finally back to the same timezone as my friends and family. Chatting online with friends in Singapore and the rest of the world is possible again.

Different definitions of success/happiness
I would like to apply this to the laws of attraction between the opposite sexes here, where a woman's partner selection criteria might be:

In Shenzhen - job; international exposure; looks

In New Plymouth - physical attributes; facial hair; tattoos

To be honest, I feel more successful/happy here.

Getting around
I enjoyed zipping around New Zealand in my Ford Focus along one-lane roads for hours on end, stopping for every pedestrian with a friendly wave.

In Shenzhen, as I am not allowed to drive without a Chinese driving license, I now have a chauffeur to take me around the city amidst the heavy and noisy traffic, where horning and excessive use of the high-beam is commonplace. Cab rides are always an adventure though, as I admire how these drivers zip through traffic with reckless ease.

The lifestyles are drastically different, and I am thankful I can adapt to both ways and find pleasures within my means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice!