Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Scottish Humor/Driving in Aberdeen

In May and June 2013, I was posted to Aberdeen, Scotland for a rotational assignment.

I had a wonderful time here, most memorable for it was the first time I had a car - in 13 years since I passed my driving test, I had probably less than 20 occassions to take the driver's seat, including an incident when I reversed into a carpark pillar. Julie never let me drive her around again...

My first introduction to Scottish humour was upon seeing the allocated vehicle. I had requested for an automatic transmission car, preferably a small model, which would be easier to maneuver around the narrower streets of Scotland. What the car rental company offered was a Kia Sportage, a 2 liter SUV. I managed to scratch the side of the vehicle on the first day, destroying a parking lot post during a hasty 3-point turn. Guess the joke was on them this time.

I am still overly grateful to my employer for financing my driving practice, and giving me the opportunity to explore the Aberdeenshire.

I am also hoping that they can increase my salary soon such that I can finally afford a car in Singapore to boost my social status.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice!